Monday, April 13, 2009

Learning Experiences

Several examples came to me when I thought about different examples of learning styles. One was when I entered the tenth grade; I joined a PC Support class as my pathway. The teacher opened a computer desktop and explained each component inside of it. She made sure to explain how to install and uninstall each component and its function for the computer. She also made sure we knew what each part of the pc was called such as the PCI or ISA slots. Within the first hour of class she made sure we learned the core of a desktop computer.
Another example was when I was in first grade in Wiesbaden, Germany, the teacher made all the students write out the multiplication table over and over again until we could eventually recite the table. This teacher made it clear how important this part of math was to my future so therefore I was motivated to learn the table.
In seventh grade, I took a computer class where the first thing the teacher thought us how to type without looking down at the keyboard. The teacher made it become natural to us after just a few weeks in class. The teacher gave me motivation by explaining how frequent I will be using the computer in the future and how it is better learn how to type as soon as possible.
When I was turning 15, I had to learn the entire general street driving rules. I was forced to retain all the knowledge about driving in order to receive my learner’s license. Then when I decided I wanted to ride a motorcycle, I had to first learn and pass all the rules a motorcycle rider had to follow. Then I had to learn how to ride a street bike as well. The idea that was going to be able to drive or ride whenever I want, gave me the motivation to do whatever it takes to achieve this privilege.

Previous Learning Experiences (Part 1)
January 13, 2009



Last semester in com 1, I learned the importance of peer reviews and group activities. The advice from other writers helped me become a better writer. I learned that getting many different opinions about my writing will help my paper become a way better paper. A different perspective will point out mistakes and advice the writer didn’t see or think of. I also realized that there such a thing as too many words. Last semester I was thought what words in a sentence are useful and ones that weren’t. Now when I edit and reread essays I write, I know what words I have to take out because they waste space and make the paper less specific.

Comp 1 Learning Experiences (Part 2)
January 13, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment